Wednesday 23rd August, 2017
Translate Language:::
Share

Amnesty International demands judicial inquiry into Killing of IPOB members

Amnesty International demands judicial inquiry into Killing of IPOB members

 

* says culprits must face trial

Global human rights group, Amnesty International (AI) has asked Nigeria to set up a judicial inquiry into the unlawful killing of members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) last year by security agents.

Responding to reports that the Governor of Anambra state, Willie Obiano, has apologized over the Remembrance Day killings of IPOB activists on 30 May 2016, Amnesty International Nigeria Director Osai Ojigho said the perpetrators must be made to face trial.

“Admission of the Remembrance Day killings must be followed up by the establishment of a judicial commission to ensure justice and accountability for those killed on that day, as well as on the at least three other occasions when the military and police extrajudicially executed IPOB supporters.

“Those suspected of responsibility for these killings must face fair and open trials without recourse to the death penalty. Anambra state government now has the opportunity to address impunity”, he stated in a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday.

The statement issued by the group's Media Manager for Nigeria, Isa Sanusi, recalled its November 2016 report ‘Bullets were raining everywhere’’: Deadly repression of pro-Biafra activists'.

It had detailed evidence of the extrajudicial executions in Anambra state for which Governor Obiano has apologised, as well as three other incidents of unlawful killings in the state.

"Amnesty International has not been able to verify the exact number of extrajudicial executions on 29 and 30 May 2016, but estimates that at least 60 people were killed and 70 injured over the two days.

"Despite overwhelming evidence that the Nigerian security forces committed serious human rights violations including extrajudicial executions and torture on the day, no prosecutions have been carried out by the authorities", it stressed.

Sanusi's statement further recalled other attacks on IPOB members to include the following:

"On 17 December 2015, soldiers killed five and injured at least 20 people at Head Bridge, Onitsha.

"On 2 December 2015, at least six people were killed and 12 were injured in Onitsha.

"On 30 August 2015 in Onitsha, police and military fired live ammunition at IPOB marchers, killing at least two and injuring 22."

SHARE ON: