Saturday 10th December, 2016
Translate Language:::
Share

Killings: Pro-Biafra agitators threaten self-defence

Killings: Pro-Biafra agitators threaten self-defence

Pro-Biafra agitators led by members of the In­digenous Peoples of Bi­afra (IPOB) have threatened to defend themselves against fur­ther unprovoked attacks by the police and soldiers.
They declared that they could no longer remain de­fenceless amidst ceaseless kill­ings, arrests, detentions and shootings by security agents in the South East and South-South regions.
The IPOB, in a statement made available to The AU­THORITY in Onitsha, Anam­bra State, on Thursday, said it had lost over 50 Biafran sup­porters to soldiers and police in Nigeria, adding that thou­sands have also sustained se­vere injuries from attacks by the military and the police.
In the statement titled: “Our Rights To Self-Defence Now Activated” and signed by Mr. Emma Nmezu and Dr. Clifford Chuwiemeka Iroanya, on behalf of IPOB, the group said it had issued several warn­ings against the killing and ar­rest of its members even be­fore their leader, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, was detained by the Department of State Securi­ty (DSS) in October last year.
IPOB said that between October 2015 and February 2016, more attacks were car­ried out against Biafrans by Nigerian agents under the in­struction of President Mu­hammadu Buhari, leading to the deaths of over 50 Biafrans.
It said that on February 9, 2016, a combined team of Ni­geria Police and Army invad­ed a private gathering of Bia­frans in Aba, Abia State where they were praying and killed 10 people instantly while oth­ers sustained injuries.
The Biafran agitators la­mented with dismay that sev­eral letters written to heads of government of all countries to draw the attention of world leaders on the plight of IPOB members as they face extermi­nation by the gun-toting and trigger-happy agents of Nige­ria, but the world leaders had failed to act.
IPOB said that the South East is under siege by Boko Haram and other international terrorists, and appealed to the United Nations (UN) to probe the police and the military over the killing and maiming of agitators in the South East.
The group’s Media and Communications Officer, Emma Powerful, lamented Tuesday’s gruesome murder of IPOB members in Aba.
He said: “Boko Haram el­ements under the guise of the military are killing our people. Otherwise, how can any seri­ous-minded security person­nel be killing unarmed peo­ple as if they are mere animals?
“Our people should know that we are under siege by ISIL and Boko Haram. Let’s unite and fight for the liberation of Biafra...”
The pro- Biafran group, therefore, appealed to the in­ternational community, espe­cially the United Nations to probe the spate of mindless killings of non-violent Biafran agitators by security forces in Nigeria.
It also called on the UN to stop the Nigerian authori­ties from “their wicked plan to decimate Biafran agitators us­ing security agents.”
Meanwhile, the Abia State Police Command has absolved its personnel of the killing of six Biafran agitators in Aba on Tuesday.
Members of IPOB had re­portedly converged for prayers at the National High School Aba, along Port Harcourt-Aba Road, when a combined team of police and soldiers invaded the venue.
During the raid, six IPOB members were reportedly killed, scores wounded and 25 arrested by the security oper­atives.
But the Police have denied any responsibility for the kill­ings, even though they con­firmed the incident.
The police yesterday denied having any hand in the killing of the agitators.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Udeviotu Onyeke, told our correspondent that his men “did not fire any shot” at the scene of the incident.

SHARE ON: